Cell Catalog Feedback

Hey all, I’m working to translate this cell type google doc into a cell catalog on the FlyWire blog and am looking for some feedback. The intended audience of this is of course our alpha testers but also the next waves of EyeWirers who make their way to FlyWire. Hopefully it will orient players with common cell morphologies and in the future aid in adding cell type tags.

The blog will be laid out as a list of cell types starting from the outside and working our way in. It will contain the following info: cell type name, image (top and side), a link to example cells in FlyWire, and a brief description of the cell.

Questions:

1. Would it be helpful to include with each cell an image of where it is in the fly brain? (see examples below)
  2. Would any additional information about the cell be useful?
  3. What other neuroscience blogs would you like to see?

4 Likes
  1. Yes, I think, it would be useful. It would help to find out, if our cell is normal in this part of the brain or not.
  2. Useful? - No. Interesting? - Definitely.
  3. Some sort of summaries of other interesting studies from the neuroscience field.
    Informations about newly discovered circuits in a fly brain.
    Future plans for FlyWire and what’s currently in development.
6 Likes
  1. The example image is really too dark/small to make it useful for me, the different colours for the different regions are also distracting and i am sitting with a feeling of having several layers that might work in 3d but difficult to read in 2d, maybe you could have a link where it is shown in flywire instead?

2. I would like some information/marks this is axon, dendrite, backbone etc, maybe where a good place for marking the cell complete is, since that can be a bit difficult on some types.
    Make a note about any cells where the same branches work as axon/dentrite etc.
    Special things you need to check in different types of cells for instance in bouquet cells you need to carefully check the whole backbone, probably usefull with with a 2d image to show how many branches you really can have. DM cells cheek for open spots. Typical areas on the cells you should look for soma.

information that could be interesting but, probably not very useful

• information on what the different cells do, colour, movement, something about how the different cells work ( might be best to have a separate blog on that one)

3 about the work behind, taking pictures, setting it togheter, training ai, what labs are behind it, doing what? what are the goal
maybe something about what other areas are worked on by scientists, do different labs work on different parts. What are done/remaining.
Something about how a fly eye work

EDIT is it possible to make more headers in the blog since some posts are tutorial, others are more about the science behind, and other again a progress rapport, to make them easier to find later

6 Likes
  • Would it be helpful to include with each cell an image of where it is in the fly brain?*

I think so, but I agree with annkri that the example image posted here is perhaps difficult to read. I’m not sure how to make it clearer, however, unless it’s made into an illustration versus a screenshot of the 3D render. (By illustration, I mean something like this, but simplified to just show the general structure + a representation of the cell type in question).

• Would any additional information about the cell be useful?

Common problems or tips for tracing them, although it may still be early to provide that as we’re still getting more familiar with them.

• What other neuroscience blogs would you like to see?

How the AI works, research involving the fly brain (past and present), connections to how these studies prove useful at a more human level. I’m also a nerd and I’d love to be pointed in the direction of neuroscience learning from the amateur/citizen science level (I may not be able to go back to college for this, but I would love to learn if I could find my footing!).

4 Likes

Thanks @Krzysztof_Kruk @annkri and @AzureJay for these great suggestions! I’ll integrate them in and circle back with round 2.

2 Likes