Citizen Science Symposium: Sept 29

I’m excited to invite you to FlyWire’s first ever Citizen Science Symposium! The virutal event takes place on Thurs, Sept 29 at 10 am US ET / 14:00 GMT on Zoom.

The Symposium will feature an introduction from FlyWire co-founder and Director of Princeton Neuroscience Institute, Mala Murthy, followed by a presentation about the optic lobe by neurobiologist Emil Kind. It will close with a Q&A. Feel free to post questions in this thread!

cit-sci-symposium-650px

5 Likes

This is soooo cool! And have a week to think on questions, lol.

1 Like

Whew! Really early for me but I’m RSVPing and will do my best to make it. Someone brew up a pot of virtual coffee!

2 Likes

probably a bit early for me also, but will try to get there

2 Likes

How long will the event last? Looks like I have gym for an hr at the start of it. Will it be recorded for later viewing? thnx.

All the presentations were amazing! They sparked my interest in looking for neuronal circuits, at least those, which were presented.
We’ve already knew about the cartridges and the R cells in there, but we thought, that all the cells come from the same ommatidium. Now we know, that in each cartridge there are indeed cells R1-R8, but every one of them is from a different ommatidium and are collected that way, that all points at the same point from different perspective. That fact was the most interesting for me.

4 Likes

Thanks! I’m glad it was insightful.

Here are links to the talks:

5 Likes

I absolutely loved this event! I learned and discovered so much in that short amount of time and it really just kindled my passion for this project further.

Things I found groovy:

• The motion/auditory work in other parts of the brain
  • The cross circuitry of the R cells
  • The three types of ommatidia when it comes to color and light, and their networks
  • The alignment of T4/T5 cells with directional detection

Also, I know Emil commented offhand that Fischbach could be a whole topic of its own, and I want to say I would LOVE some presentations/discussions on Fischbach’s paper (what was gotten right, what was gotten wrong, what we’re discovering that conflicts or doesn’t, etc).

5 Likes

I also found both presentations extremely informative, what got me the most is/was that our (players) observations about the R axons, the cartridges, L cells and so on were/are the observations made by the scientists, but we didn’t know that before hand except maybe by some few of the existing research papers. So, w/o significant prior knowledge we came to almost the same conclusions as the researchers/scientists by ‘just’ reconstructing neurons in FW and noticing patterns. :smiley:

4 Likes