Recommendation for icons?

Hey all!

Development of materialization is almost complete (lightbulb and other items will update in real time)! While Kai is at it, we’re going to improve FlyWire profiles to show more stats. I’m working on icons that represent the various categories that currently exist: Complete Cells, Identifications, Edits. Here are the current icons.

Pencil is… ok, generic. I wonder if there is a more flywire-y icon we could use for edits.
Also what neuron should we use for Complete Cells icon? Needs to shrink down well.

What other icons in FlyWire could use an update?

3 Likes

i like the neuron and microscope ones, pensil does look generic, fountain pen is also kinda generic but more ‘regal’ maybe?

1 Like

Maybe some combination of glue/tape and scissors for the edit icon?

2 Likes

i like the microscope, for the complete cell i understand you want it as simple as possible, but too me that cell look maybe too simple. I am more thinking along the lines of a dm cell or something like that.
for the edits i like the tape /scissors suggestion but also thinking that if you are up to using two colours you could have a variant with for instance half of a L2- cell in one colour and the other half with another.
on the other hand it important to have icons people understand

3 Likes

Options - digging the fountain pen!

(need to rework these scissors, looking a little wonky XD)

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll try a DM - have a link to any favorites? Only one color per icon at this time.

1 Like

i liiiiike that fountain pen, here’s an idea, ‘close’ the scissors and put them cross above the fountain pen, you know how they do with swords and coat of arms? Like this:
Could be cool. Tape has a syfy element almost like alien runes or something, its gaining on me, lol.

1 Like

1 Like

how about this dm cell FlyWire a bit it profil from the side

3 Likes

i would think a T4 or T5 as its more vertical than horizontal (better for fitting inside the overall placeholder and will look better when its 10px x 10px.

1 Like

I definitely like the idea of our more floral types of Dm for an icon, a simplified version of 6 or Dm1 (FlyWire) for instance could fit nicely. I feel most of our cells are generally too long to fit completely in an icon.

Edit icon wise: I do like the pen. Scissors + tape feels too odd to me, but I could see scissors nipping a neuron branch in half :rofl:

2 Likes

Tried this option

1 Like

this is really cool. I don’t know if it as clearly would visually show what it means. Will play around and see where else we can use this!

1 Like

doesn’t have to have the shield on top or behind them, but maybe fountain and scissors crossed could be visually cool, idk.

I like this second version!

1 Like

I like the 2nd version better as well.

i like both versions, but think i prefer the first one (second reminds me to much of some of the icons from ew)

1 Like