TmY neuron question

Hi all, Marion Silies and her lab have been referencing your optic lobe spreadsheet for their research and have been working on some of the harder-to-identify OL cells. So thanks for this amazing resource. She sent this question regarding TmYs:

We are trying to annotate some not-so-easy-to-identify neurons in the visual system. Our common sources (e.g. Fischbach and Dittrich 1989) for example show 13 different TmY neurons, but the Tmy neuron that we’re looking at is none of those. We see that the Flyers have 26 TmY cells in there spreadsheet, and are wondering where most of the remaining ones are coming from (we know that a few were annotated in previous EM papers by Shinomiya/Takemura and VFB goes up to TmY18, and then also has TmY27, but we have no clues about Tmy19-Tmy26). Can you help?

1 Like

Hmm, I think, we might’ve made an error assuming, that if a TmY27 exists, then all the previous ones also exist.

1 Like

TmY 20 is described in Neuronal circuits integrating visual motion information in Drosophila
Kazunori Shinomiya, Aljoscha Nern, Ian A. Meinertzhagen, Stephen M. Plaza, Michael B. Reiser
bioRxiv 2021.12.20.473513; doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.12.20.473513

See this post for illustrations.

I’m finding no record in the forums of any other TmYs in that range.

2 Likes

Thank you both!

2 Likes

Since TmY 26 is the last one in the sheet there have to have been a mention/picture of that one somewhere. But other than that it is safe to say i have just assumed the missing numbers was also in use.
unless it could have been a copying error, but do not really think so.

2 Likes