Player Tracing Tips

catmaid is probs the equiv of omni to ew, aka what the researchers are using, only we never could get access to omni bc it was in-house only, i remember rprentki aka rachel saying she couldnt do some stuff from her house and needed to be in the lab bc she couldnt either have omni in house pc or some sort of auth/similar was missing/couldnt get it.

looks like this ‘omni’ is internet based vs in-house/lab, but still tried clicking a few things and i got ‘you dont have permission’ so, we probs can do some stuff in there and can look around but to use CATMAID in its entirety u need to have permission/acct/access which makes sense.

still, nice find!

2 Likes

i dont have/use blender but maybe i can install it so i can dl the objects and import them to the software i use, thnx, i’ll have a look!

2 Likes

Yeah, I think, we have a read-only access, but that’s enough to search through the data.
And definitely, catmaid has more tools for researches that FW. FW is more user friendly though (at least for me, lol).

2 Likes

yeah, i imagine CM is better for pulling all avail/finished cells and checking out which ones synapsing w them u wanna give ppl in the FW to trace w/o said ppl having access to tools which can ‘nuke’ data even w restrictions. lol

FW is defo more user-friendly than CM but has a long way to go to reach EW gamification lvls lol then again its alpha so it makes sense it has a ways to go.

2 Likes

@TR77 Are there any other cells in the cartridge layer or only those L1 - L5 and some glia?
You wrote about other associated cells, but are they in the same layer or somewhere furrther down the line?

2 Likes

there’s a few.

Ls and Ts defo, the bouton chandelier-like ending of the LAWF axons, the retinal R ending of axons, the weird amacrine cells that go twisty turny all around (like the one u posted pic in gsheet tab abt), some others that have very weird CBs, lots of glia, espec glia that synapses heavily w the R retinal axon endings and some other cell type’s axons like the ones that do a 90 degrees angle from CB if not mistaken.

2 Likes

Oh, so the cartridges go through the whole lamina? I thought, they go only through some part of it.

2 Likes

FlyWire The cells of the cartridge if i’ve not understood cartridge wrong.

And that’s the upper part near the CBs, i’ve not ‘mapped’ all the cells that interact with each other on the lower end of the Ls + Ts cells.

2 Likes

Thanks! So it looks like a lot is happening outside the Medulla :smiley:

2 Likes

yw! it’s defo a ‘powerhouse’!

2 Likes

@Krzysztof_Kruk Yes…and @Nseraf has already pretty well summarized it, in the above. The only thing I can think to add to @Nseraf 's summary, would be the C2 and C3 cells, which send an axonal neurite along the path of the L cells, in each cartridge, up to the top of the cartridge somewhere near the type L CB layer (probably the “90 degree angle” cells that @Nseraf referred to above).

https://ngl.flywire.ai/?json_url=https://globalv1.flywire-daf.com/nglstate/5961789531488256

Just for reference, I would define the “cartridge layer” as everything ABOVE the chiasm. If we were to include the “pom pom” like arbors of the L cells (i.e. below the chiasm), as the bottom of the cartridges, then a multitude of other cells become involved in that layer…but really, we’re in the medulla at that point, so…just stating it here, for reference.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Yes, what he said, so much better and scientifically than I :stuck_out_tongue: lol

2 Likes

@Nseraf lol…nah, you gave an awesome explanation, in the above.

2 Likes

http://flybase.org/#

Interesting website. So far, I found out, that you can search for any neuron type (top right corner, select Search FlyBase if necessary) and after finding the correct result on the list of the search results, there are good, detailed descriptions, how a cell should look like.

Example for L1:
http://flybase.org/cgi-bin/cvreport.pl?id=FBbt%3A00003719

Edit: Select “Anatomy Ontology” on the left, to filter only cells (mostly neurons, as far as I can tell)

4 Likes

You can press Ctrl+Shift+J to copy a shareable link with current state to the clipboard without the need to open the window and clicking the Copy button.

3 Likes

Some (all?) of you probably already knew it, but I’ve only just now found out, what these numbers mean (the ones under resolution in pixels):

The one in 2D shows, how many chunks of 2D images has been loaded and how many will be loaded in total.

Similar in 3D - here it shows, how many chunks of meshes are loaded and will be loaded.
Btw. meshes aren’t loaded as one per segment/cell, but they are just cubes of same boundary sizes, so 9962 in the example above doesn’t mean, that I have 9962 cells opened (only about 300).

4 Likes

lol idk that! But I can tell you that at 2000 (almost) cells this is the number of 3D meshes loading:

Screenshot 2022-09-06 004526
and that 2D stops loading (at all, all you can see is a grey ‘image’) at around 1000-1200 cells depending I imagine on size of cells, and so on, if you have 2D showing along with 3D, and to show 2D you must ‘hide’ 3D (make 2D only panel like this:

Then the 3D shuts off (0 meshes if you look at the above screenshot) and 2D loads, so im guessing that the ‘game’/software is programmed to optimise in order to be able to load by shutting down 2D or 3D depending on which is more important, if you have 3D showing 2D shuts down, you can scroll in 2D and the 2D plane in 3D does move up/down but u cant see anything in 2D and i havent tried to see if double clicking anything would work (clicking in 3D since u cant see anything in 2D).

I’m also gonna guess that at some point even if there isnt a safeguard in place in the software/code, chrome is gonna terminate the tab due to lack of RAM (regardless of the fact I have 256 Gigs locally lol), chrome can only handle so much after all, either overall or per tab.

2 Likes

Wow, those are pro results :smiley:
As for the memory, if you right-click on the top bar, there are some settings. Among them, you can set amount of GPU and RAM, that can be allocated to the game. I’ve just incremented it from the default 2GB to 8GB to see, if the crashes will be less often.

3 Likes

interesting i hadnt made the connection those were gigs allocation…changed :rofl:

2 Likes

Me neither, until now, lol.